It can be really frustrating to buy a used iPhone or iPad with an activation lock. It gets even worse when you can’t open it, and it becomes almost a nightmare for you when you don’t have any contact with the previous owner. The mobile phone basically becomes useless. You cannot use it until you sign in to the iCloud account, which is not possible without the previous owner’s Apple ID and password. So is there a way to get out of this? Can you get rid of the activation lock even if you are not in contact with the previous owner? Fortunately, there is a way.
In this post, we will show you precisely how to remove activation lock without previous owner so that you can experience your new iPhone. We will share 3 proven ways that you can use to achieve this.
How to remove iCloud activation lock without previous owner
As said, there are 3 ways to open the activation lock of your device without the need of its previous owner.
- Removing iCloud activation lock with a professional tool
- Using the DNS Bypass Method
- Asking Apple to remove the block
Let us teach you how to remove activation lock each way.
Remove iCloud activation lock with a professional tool
FoneGeek iPhone Passcode Unlocker is a professional iCloud activation lock bypass software that can remove activation lock on iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch/Apple Watch without a password. In case you have purchased an iCloud locked iPhone/iPad, or if your device is owner locked, the easiest way to reactivate it is by using this bypass tool from FoneGeek. With it, you will be able to reactivate any locked iPhone without asking for the previous owner’s iCloud ID or password.
Features of FoneGeek iPhone Passcode Unlocker Bypass Tool:
- Removing the activation lock screen takes only a few seconds without using the password of the previous owner.
- Use any Apple ID to easily access your iPhone or other iDevices after unlocking.
- Prevent the previous owner from tracking your device.
- Prevent the previous owner from erasing or locking your device using your iCloud account.
- Compatible with most iPhone models (iPhone 5S through iPhone 14) running iOS 16 and later.
Steps to use FoneGeek iPhone Passcode Unlocker to remove activation lock on iPhone without previous owner.
- Download FoneGeek iPhone Passcode Unlocker.
- Install it on your computer and run it.
- Click “Unlock Apple ID” to start the process.
- Connect your iPhone and your computer with a lightning cable.
- You will first need to jailbreak the iOS device before proceeding.[If it’s a Mac you’re using, just follow the instructions provided by the program to do that.]
- Confirm your iOS device information displayed on the screen, and then press the “Unlock Now” button to start removing activation lock on your iPhone without previous owner.
- When it’s done, it will display a Successfully Bypassed notification. From there, just click Done to finish and exit the page.
Use the DNS bypass method
Changing the DNS settings of your Wi-Fi network is another way to bypass Activation Lock. But first, we need to better understand what DNS really is. DNS basically stands for Domain Name System. It is a system that translates human-readable names, also known as domains, into unique numeric IP addresses.
Through DNS server manipulation, also known as iCloud DNS Bypass, it is possible to bypass an iCloud lock. This is accomplished by rerouting your iPhone’s activation path away from Apple’s servers and toward chosen third-party iCloud bypass servers. In general, this iCloud DNS bypass method can be a great help when you have a used iPhone/iPad that you need to unlock, but you don’t know or can’t contact the previous owner to retrieve the login information. It’s also useful if you’ve forgotten your Apple ID credentials.
Here is how to remove activation lock without a previous owner for free using the DNS bypass method.
- Turn on your iOS device or restart it again if it is already turned on.
- Follow the setup process until you reach the “Choose WiFi network” part.
- Select “More WiFi settings” and
- Tap the “i” symbol next to the WiFi network.
- When the “Setup Menu” appears, select the “Manual” option.
- Go to the “+ Add Server” button and tap on it.
- Write the address of the server (it must correspond to your location).
- You can connect to the servers using the following:
- 126.96.36.199 – for the US
- 188.8.131.52 – for SAT
- 184.108.40.206 – for Europe
- 220.127.116.11 – for Asia
- 18.104.22.168 – for Oceania and Australia
- 22.214.171.124 – for others
- Go back to the WiFi page once you’re done.
- When your device connects to the iCloud DNS bypass server for your region, you can stop touching “Next” and “Back” until your device is set up with your own Apple ID.
Although the DNS method works, it has some limitations, such as:
- There is no guarantee that the service will successfully unlock your device.
- The process can be a bit challenging for non-technical users.
- Once you unlock your iPhone, you may not have access to all of its capabilities.
- It is not effective for most devices, especially those running on iOS 10 or later.
- Newer iPhone or iPad models may not be compatible with the procedure.
The best way to overcome these limitations of DNS bypass is to use FoneGeek iPhone Password Unlocker to easily remove activation lock. It is the developers of FoneGeek software who designed and developed the iCloud activation lock bypass software, and they ensure that the tool is effective in removing iCloud activation lock without previous owner’s login details.
Ask Apple to remove the block for you
Besides bypassing DNS, this is another method you can use; Although it may not be as effective as using the professional activation lock bypass tool FoneGeek iPhone Passcode Unlocker, moreover, it also has its own set of disadvantages. This method involves making a request to Apple Customer Service to remove the block.
If you go this way, you need to prove that you bought the locked device and are now the actual owner. This means that you will have to present all the documentation of purchase of the iPhone.
To make sure the verification process goes smoothly, you should visit your local Apple Store, where the employees can help you with all the paperwork. However, if that’s not possible, you can call or contact Apple Customer Service directly for help. Follow these steps to do it.
- Visit https://support.apple.com/
- Go to the “start a support request” option and click on it.
- You will be directed to the page with the terms and conditions. Please read them carefully and then click “I Agree”.
- Now type your email ID plus serial number, IMEI and MEDI.
- Once you do, Apple will send you a confirmation link.
Disadvantages of this method
- It is not convenient if you have bought a second-hand iPhone. Calling Apple Support or going to your local Apple store may not yield any results.
- The biggest downside is that Apple does not cover iPhones purchased from second-hand vendors at all.
How to remove previous ownerless activation lock for free via iCloud Web
If you’re in contact with the previous owner but can’t reach them, you can still have them unlock your iPhone remotely. There is a set of instructions that you can follow to do this. The entire process can be done remotely through iCloud web. The previous owner of your device can help you with the process if you cooperate.
Here’s how to remove activation lock without previous owner via iCloud web. Share these steps with the previous owner of your device to unlock it.
Visit the iCloud website in your browser.
- Sign in to your existing iCloud account that you used with the locked iPhone.
- When you are logged in, go to the Find iPhone option and click on it.
Once its previous owner reaches this point, you can remotely perform the following actions on your phone.
- From the dropdown menu, click All Devices and select the particular locked iPhone.
- Now click Erase iPhone to remove activation lock.
Bonus tip. Easy way to avoid getting stuck on your phone’s activation lock screen
Now you know exactly how to remove the activation lock without contacting the previous owner. If you want the transition from your old iPhone to your new iPhone to be seamless, you need to turn off Find My iPhone. Once Find My iPhone is disabled, your iPhone will now become a brand new device, also there will be no hindrance caused by iOS locks like iCloud activation lock, screen lock, screen time lock or blocking Apple ID.
You can turn off Find My iPhone in the Settings app if you can remember your Apple ID password by following these steps:
- Open the Settings app. Go to the top of the screen and tap on the Device Name.
- Select the Find My option.
- Next, tap Find My iPhone right at the top.
- Now disable Find My iPhone by typing Apple ID password.
So, this is pretty much everything you need to know about disabling Apple Activation Lock. It is time for us to conclude our discussion today.
If you want to know exactly how to remove activation lock without previous owner, we think you now have some clue on how to do it. The methods we have highlighted above can help you remove or bypass Activation Lock. Unfortunately, most of them are not that effective and may not even work for some devices. That is why we strongly recommend using FoneGeek iPhone Passcode Unlocker.
This professional activation lock bypass tool offers the easiest, safest and fastest way to remove/bypass iCloud activation lock on any second-hand iPhone without the help of the previous owner. It is more effective and reliable than any of the other methods, plus it can remove all other iOS locks. So, download it and have a try.