Facebook launched Marketplace in 2016 and it immediately became a popular platform for selling things to local shoppers. When selling locally, Facebook Marketplace is a safe and easy-to-use tool. It’s also very easy to log into Facebook Marketplace and start using it.
Facebook sets itself apart from other available platforms, such as eBay, by allowing qualified vendors to provide nationwide delivery for items in specific categories, giving them a significantly larger consumer base than local sellers.
If you’re new to the Marketplace, take some time to look around and find out what’s available. You can buy and sell just about anything, from vehicles to sofas, video games, furniture, and more. However, in addition, you also need to take care of some things that you cannot sell on the platform, which can be found in the Facebook Commerce Policy. Also, make sure you adhere to all other community standards for selling and buying products on Facebook Marketplace, and you’ll never have a problem with that.
So now let’s see what we have here!
How to login to Facebook Marketplace?
Signing in to Facebook Marketplace is as simple as signing in to Facebook. Those who don’t know a bit about the platform must be wondering how, but it is true literally and metaphorically. Still don’t get it? Do not worry, the steps that we indicate below will make it clearer:
for mobile phones
- Open the Facebook app.
- Fill in your email address or phone number and password.
- Tap the login button and enter your account.
- Locate the menu icon (three horizontal lines). For Android users, it will be present at the top right corner while for iOS users, it will be present at the bottom of the screen. Tapping it will take you to the Menu page.
- Scrolling through it, you will come across the Marketplace option. Tap it and boom, there’s your Facebook Marketplace.
Via the Facebook website on desktop
- Open the browser and go to the Facebook login page.
- Fill in your login credentials and click the login button.
- After landing on your Facebook home page, you will see a left sidebar containing various options, one of which will be Marketplace.
- Click on it and you will be taken to your Facebook Marketplace account.
You see, accessing Facebook Marketplace is as easy as logging into your Facebook account 😅. Therefore, to use the Facebook Marketplace, you do not need to log in separately elsewhere. You can simply access it through your own Facebook account.
Do you have a Facebook Marketplace app?
If you are using a Facebook Marketplace app, please delete it immediately. Because? Because it is FAKE! 😮
You must be in shock, right? But it is true…
There is no Facebook Marketplace app. Facebook Marketplace can only be accessed through the Facebook app or website.
The app you’re using, assuming it’s the original Marketplace provided by Facebook, must be a third-party app that’s gone fat by sucking your personal data from your original Facebook account. To get started with the app, they ask for your correct Facebook credentials, so they look holy and people flaunt them as a Facebook product. But in reality, you are giving them your private data, which can be used against you in the future. So beware of these types of scam apps and remember, NO FACEBOOK MARKETPLACE APP!
Also, don’t confuse apps from other markets present in the app store with Facebook Marketplace. There are several apps with the same ‘Marketplace’ name, and these are also NO Facebook product. These may be Marketplaces run and run by some other company, whose main USP might be their Facebook Marketplace-like name, which is ‘Marketplace’.
Are there any criteria for accessing and using Facebook Marketplace?
To access Facebook Marketplace, all you need to do is sign in to your Facebook account and get started, as outlined in the previous section.
However, there are some points that you should keep in mind before you start using the platform. Some of these are listed below:
- You must not be a new Facebook user. If you have a newly opened Facebook account, you will not be able to access your Marketplace. You have to be using Facebook for a few days before you have access to the Marketplace and its services.
- The platform, as of now, is not available for all locations in the world. So don’t panic if you don’t see the Facebook Marketplace icon in your Facebook menu, it must be because it’s not available in your current location. However, if you’re sure the Marketplace service is available in your area, but it’s still not showing, see the ‘Can’t access Facebook Marketplace?’ section. ‘Fix if not available’ item, to get a workable solution.
- Facebook Marketplace is not available in the languages that Facebook supports. To change the language of your Facebook profile and Marketplace, please visit the article ’10 workable methods to solve your Facebook Marketplace not working problem’.
- You must be at least 18 years old to use Facebook Marketplace.
- Facebook Marketplace can only be accessed through supported devices. You will not be able to use it on your iPhone if it is older than iPhone 5.
How to buy and sell products on Facebook Marketplace?
Facebook Marketplace is all about buying and selling products from the comfort of sitting at home. You can sell something on the Marketplace when you create a public listing that anyone on the Marketplace, as well as in News Feed, search, and other places on or off Facebook can see. All Marketplace postings and buying and selling groups must comply with Facebook’s Commerce Policies in order to continue using Facebook Marketplace without any hindrance.
Now, back to our topic, let’s see the steps to list and sell products on Facebook Marketplace:
- First, go to your Facebook Marketplace dashboard.
- In the panel on the left side of the Facebook Marketplace screen, select the Create new listing option.
- Next, select one of the options, depending on the item you want to sell: Item for sale, Vehicle for sale, Property for sale or rent.
- Click on the Add Photo option to upload your product photo to sell.
- Next, you need to provide information about the product you are selling, including its Title, Price, Category the product belongs to, Condition: new or used, product description, Availability: single piece or in stock, and provide your location current. . To mark the product as Free, enter 0 in the price column.
- If you want to hide the list from your friends, enable the Hide from friends option.
- Click the Next button. If it is greyed out, you must have left some important information from the fill. Therefore, make sure that you have provided all the information and that too correctly.
- Finally, click the Publish button to publish your product.
purchase of products
Now, to buy the product, you need to click on the image of the product you like. After opening his page, you will see the Send option, clicking on it will send a message on Messenger to the seller stating that you are interested in the product. Thereafter, you have to carry out the discussion with the seller on your own and work things out.
If the product is sold locally
- Most local transactions are paid for in cash at the time the item is picked up.
- Buyers can also request that a seller reserve the item, pay a deposit, or make payment in full through an online or offline payment method. Buyers and sellers can also negotiate listed prices and choose payment methods in their Facebook Messenger discussion. Also, make sure you never share your credit card or personal bank details on Messenger with the seller, because you don’t know the person yet.
If the product is not sold locally
- Payments can be made using the online payment processor provided by Facebook. In the product listing, the advertised item will state the selling price, which very often will also include shipping costs. Any processing fees are borne by the seller. According to the ad, the buyer only pays the price of the item, including or not shipping costs.
How to avoid being scammed on FB Marketplace?
Without a doubt, Facebook Marketplace is a very useful platform to buy and sell products. However, there are still chances of being scammed when purchasing an item. To avoid facing such a situation, keep in mind some tips listed below:
- Examine the seller’s profile and qualifications.
- If you are picking up the product yourself, please meet the seller in a public place and/or have someone accompany you.
- Never provide your bank account or credit card information as it can be misused against you.
- To keep your phone number confidential, please contact a provider via Facebook Messenger.
- Always pay in cash when you go to pick up the merchandise. Only pay after evaluating the item thoroughly, it reduces your chances of being scammed.
- Report to Facebook, if you found out that the seller is fraudulent.
- Do not buy the product at all if you have a bad feeling!